very cute bumbleebee

very cute bumbleebee

Monday, June 20, 2011

Kristina

Kristina has a phone in her room now and has used it recently to call me a few times.  Tonight she called and as we visited she stated that she might have a hard time sleeping tonight.  I asked if she was afraid of the storms that are predicted and she said no, she was afraid Anita wouldn't be coming over tomorrow.  She is so sweet.  I reassured that Anita would be over in the morning and asked if she had missed her and she said yes.  This has been a very hard adjustment for Kristina and she has come so far in a year.  We are all very proud of her and the way she now looks out for Anita.  She was even more excited to hear that I would send extra clothes so she could give her a bath tomorrow night when I work late.  For Fathers Day I purchased Jim the book "Strong fathers, Strong daughters" by Meg Meeker.  I often feel that he doesn't realize how important his role is and I had heard good things about this book.  In just starting the introduction I am already impressed.  Here are a couple excerpts I really enjoyed:

"Your daughter's world is smaller than yours, not just physically, but emotionally as well.  It is more fragile and tender because her character is being kneaded as bread dough on a cutting board.  Every day she awakens, your hands pick her up and plop her back down on the board to begin the massage.  How you knead, every single day, will change who she is."

"Your daughter gets up in the morning because you exist.  you were here first and she came into being because of you.  The epicenter of her tiny world is you.  Friends, family members, teachers, professors, or coaches will influence her to varying degrees, but they won't knead her character.  You will.  Because you are her dad."

No comments:

Post a Comment